eTDS Correction statements are to be filed to rectify any error / omission in the original statement. The need to file eTDS correction also arises because of 85%/ 95% valid PAN requirement for filing eTDS statement.
Recently NSDL has released revised guidelines for filing of correction statement. These guidelines can be viewed by typing the link http://www.tin-nsdl.com/RevisedReturns.asp
Why file eTDS Correction ?
- In case of deficiencies in the accepted regular TDS/TCS statement such as incorrect challan details or PAN not provided or provided incorrectly, the tax credit will not reflect in the Form 26AS of the deductees in your statement.
- “To facilitate correct credit in Form 26AS of the deductees you are required to remove deficiencies, if any, in the accepted regular TDS/TCS statement by filing a correction statement.”
What cannot be corrected ?
- TAN, Form no., quarter, FY and A.Y quoted in a regular statement cannot be updated by furnishing a correction statement.
- For this file a cancellation statement , followed by a new regular statement.
Before you file Correction Statement
- Provisional receipt of the corresponding accepted regular statement should be available.
- .fvu file of the corresponding accepted regular statement should be available
- Check the status of the regular statement on the TIN website by entering the TAN and PRN. correction statement should be prepared only if the corresponding regular statement has been accepted at the TIN central system.
Correction in Challan Record
- You can add a new Challan
- Deletion of a Challan is NOT ALLOWED
- Update of a challan is based on the Status of Challan Online
|Status of Challan||Correction|
|Booked||Correction cannot be done|
|Match Pending||Correction in CIN can be done|
|Match Failed||Correction in Challan Amount can be done|
Correction in Deductee Records
- You can add new deductee, update details of a deductee and delete a deductee
- Updation of a valid PAN to another valid PAN can be done only once
Correction in Salary Record
- You can add a salary record and delete a salary record
Online TAN Registration
NSDL has started facility of online TAN registration.
The benefit of online TAN registration is availability of
- view of the status of all statements filed;
- download of consolidated quarterly e-TDS / TCS statement for preparation of correction statement
The online simple registration process will ask for
- TAN , PAN of deductor
- Contact details of deductor
- Acknowledgement No of any eTDS Statement filed after 01-04-2008
On submission Ackonwledgement Number will be generated