Home » TAN Registration
Category Archives: TAN Registration
TIN web site provides for registration of TAN. This is necessary to download consolidated fvu and Form 16A files.
Many a times, users forget TAN registration details.
In our earlier blog TAN Registration Number : What to do if it is forgotten or lost, we had given a procedure to get a new registration number. This procedure has been now simplified thru a procedure or re-registration.
On re-registration, a new 12 digit TAN registration no. will be generated and the same needs to be used for future reference,
Earlier TAN registration number provided on TAN registration will no more be valid, subsequent to re-registration.
Procedure for activating TAN Account
Further, the procedure for activating the TAN account on registration/ re-registration has been changed as below:
- On registration/ re-registration, an e-mail containing link will be sent to registered e-mail ID (s)
- User will be required to click on the link for activating the TAN account. This link is sent for verifying the validity of e-mail ID.
- On clicking the link, user will be prompted to provide TAN and corresponding 12 digit TAN registration number.
- If the TAN & TAN registration number matches, then TAN account will be activated within 24 hours.
- TAN account will be active if at least one of the e-mail ID is verified.
- TAN account will not be activated, If the user does not click link or does not provide respective TAN and TAN registration number.
- If user has provided two e-mail ID (s) on registration/ re-registration then the TAN account will be activated, even if the user clicks on the link (as mentioned above) sent at any one of the registered e-mail ID.
- On activation of TAN account an e-mail containing the user ID in password protected PDF file will be sent to registered e-mail ID (s). On receipt of this e-mail, user can login to TAN account.
Existing Registered Users
- Existing registered user will remain active i.e., it will be considered their e-mail ID (s) is verified.
Functionality for updating the TAN registration details vide ‘Update profile’ has been changed as below:
- Subsequent to registration/ re-registration if the user updates the e-mail ID and other TAN registration details vide ‘Update profile’ (i.e., by logging to TAN account) then a link for verifying the e-mail ID will be sent to registered (updated) e-mail ID (s).
- If the user has updated all the verified e-mail ID (s) then the TAN account will be deactivated and the link for verifying the e-mail ID will be sent at the updated registered e-mail ID (s).
- On update of e-mail ID vide “Update profile” if the user attempts to login to TAN account without clicking on the link sent for verification of e-mail ID, then the same will be allowed and menus as below will be provided on login:
- Bulk upload of Form 15CA records
- Update profile
- Procedure for activating the TAN account will be same as mentioned above.
- Under ‘Update Profile’, if the user updates details other than the e-mail, then there will be verification for e-mail ID.
What is a TAN Registration Number( TRN)
- TIN web site provides for registration of TAN by deductor , which is necessary , among other things, for downloading consolidated fvu file, Form 16A text file.
- When a deductor applies for TAN Registration online , a confirmatory email is sent giving 12 digit TAN Registration Number. Example :
“The TAN has been successfully registered on 31th October, 2009. Your registration number is T20098776DAC”
Where is TAN Registration Number needed
- TRN is required to be quoted in all correspondence with NSDL
- The following files are emailed by NSDL / available for download are password protected and the password is TRN
- Reset password
- Form 16A
Hence if TRN is lost, it is not possible to access downloaded Form 16A files
What is the procedure to retrieve TRN
- A written request on the letter head has to be sent to NSDL mentioning name of Deductor, TAN and requesting for retrieving TRN
- The letter should be signed by ‘Managing Director’ or ‘Chief Financial Officer’ or authorized signatory in the organization along with name and designation and should be preferably digitally signed
- If the letter is not digitally signed then one the following support documents will have to be provided
- Board resolution certifying the authorized person list, which includes the name of the authorized person.
- If name of the person is not present in the board resolution then supporting documents from ROC website mentioning name of the authorized person, Power of attorney or any other legal document authorizing the person to sign documents on behalf of the entity
- An undertaking on the letter head owning responsibility in case of misuse of login. Format of the undertaking is given at the end of this post
- Latest copy of Provisional Receipt Number
After receipt of above documents, the TRN will be emailed to the deductor.