Home » Correction of Erorrs in tax challans » Error in challan : New mechanism for correction

Error in challan : New mechanism for correction

Fast Facts Bulletin

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 1,755 other followers

Blog Stats

  • 977,327 hits

Deposit of TDS can be made either electronically or by a physical challan. e-Payment of tax is mandatory for companies and others covered under mandatory tax audit. Several times, while depositing tax, errors may creep in. To rectify these errors, income-tax department has issued new guidelines effective 01-09-2011.

This new mechanism allows Banks to correct physical challans only.For correction in electronic challan, request will have to be made to Assessing Officer.

Correction in Physical Challans

What fields can be corrected by bank

  • Assessment Year
  • Major Head Code
  •  Minor Head Code
  •  TAN/PAN
  •  Total Amount
  •  Nature of payment (TDS Codes)

What is the time frame for correction request ?

  • Request for correction has to be made within 7 days of deposit of challan for correction in PAN, TAN and Assessment Year
  • For Major head, minor head and nature of payment, request can be made within 3 months of deposit of challan.

What is the remedy available after time frame is over ?

  • After lapse of time frame, request can be made to the Assessing Officer.

What is the time frame given to bank to carry out correction?

  • After receipt of request, bank must carry out the correction within 7 days

What are other conditions for correction ?

  • Correction in name is not allowed
  • Any combination of correction of Minor Head and Assessment Year together is not allowed
  • PAN/TAN correction will be allowed only when the name in the challan
    matches with the name as per the new PAN/TAN.
  • The change of amount will be permitted only on the condition that the
    amount so corrected is not different from the amount actually received by the bank and credited to Govt. Account.
  • For a single challan, correction is allowed only once. However, where 1st
    correction request is made only for amount, a 2nd correction request will be allowed for correction in other fields.
  • There will be no partial acceptance of change correction request, i.e. either all the requested changes will be allowed, if they pass the validation, or no change will be allowed, if any one of the requested changes fails the validation test.

What is the procedure for requesting correction ?

  • The tax-payer has to submit the request form for correction (in duplicate) to the concerned bank branch.
  •  The tax-payer has to attach copy of original challan counterfoil.
  •  In case of correction desired for challans in Form 280, 282, 283, the copy of PAN card is required to be attached.
  •  In case of correction desired for payments made by a tax-payer (other than an individual), the original authorization with seal of the non-individual taxpayer is required to be attached with the request form.
  •  A separate request form is to be submitted for each challan.

Correction in Electronic Challans

  • For correction in electronic challans and for correction after the time period for application to bank lapses, a written request in prescribed format has to be made to the Assessing Officer
  • Assessing Officer has power to rectify the error , in bona fide cases, to enable credit of tax to assessee

What is form of application to bank ?

income-tax department has given a format in which application can be made to the bank. The form is given in pdf format below

Bank Letter


  1. CM says:

    Dear Sir,
    I have sent the application along with supporting documents to correct my Challan 280.
    1. How can I verify whether it is corrected?
    2. When can I file my return now? Tax payble is 0 after challan 280 payment.

  2. […] Error in challan : New mechanism for correction « Fast … – Deposit of TDS can be made either electronically or by a physical challan. e-Payment of tax is mandatory for companies and others covered under mandatory tax audit…. […]

  3. Varun says:

    In case of correcting the e-challan what is the format for written application ?

  4. bcdmohapatra says:

    Please correct the assessment year for the TDS which the Vidyalaya had deposited with wrong assessment year since from May-2013 to till now. How can I correct the same .
    Kendriya Vidyalaya,Balasore ,Orissa ,756001(I.G.,Marg,Proof Colony Balasore) date-24.12.13

  5. satish s says:

    Dear sir,

    We have remitted the amount in single challan for Rs.1,00,000/- as company deduction for the financial year 209-10 in Mar 10. Before filling the return we came to know that this deduction includes non- company for Rs.20,000/-. Hence we splitted the same challan into 2, by creating separate amount for Rs.20000/- as one challan and others for Rs.80000/- both were having the same challan.E-return had been filed successfully. Now we got the notice for short deduction for Rs.100000/-. Please let us know how we can correct the same we havent made any short payment as such.

    • CA P.K.Agarwal says:

      Please rectify your TDS Return by obtaining the .tds file. In the rectification return please correct the amount of Rs One Lac against Rs 80000/- uploaded by you and tag both payments of Company as well as non company to this challan of Rs One lac. Please update the amount of Challan of Rs 20000/- either to Rs one or rupee one lac but do not tag it with any allocation for the deductee. If you update its figure for Rs One Lac the challan will ultimately be showing as matched but if you make it one rupee the challan will be showing as unmatched. Hope, this will solve your problem and the deductees will get credit for the amount deducted and deposited by you.

  6. dk says:


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: