What is a TAN Registration Number( TRN)
- TIN web site provides for registration of TAN by deductor , which is necessary , among other things, for downloading consolidated fvu file, Form 16A text file.
- When a deductor applies for TAN Registration online , a confirmatory email is sent giving 12 digit TAN Registration Number. Example :
“The TAN has been successfully registered on 31th October, 2009. Your registration number is T20098776DAC”
Where is TAN Registration Number needed
- TRN is required to be quoted in all correspondence with NSDL
- The following files are emailed by NSDL / available for download are password protected and the password is TRN
- Reset password
- Form 16A
Hence if TRN is lost, it is not possible to access downloaded Form 16A files
What is the procedure to retrieve TRN
- A written request on the letter head has to be sent to NSDL mentioning name of Deductor, TAN and requesting for retrieving TRN
- The letter should be signed by ‘Managing Director’ or ‘Chief Financial Officer’ or authorized signatory in the organization along with name and designation and should be preferably digitally signed
- If the letter is not digitally signed then one the following support documents will have to be provided
- Board resolution certifying the authorized person list, which includes the name of the authorized person.
- If name of the person is not present in the board resolution then supporting documents from ROC website mentioning name of the authorized person, Power of attorney or any other legal document authorizing the person to sign documents on behalf of the entity
- An undertaking on the letter head owning responsibility in case of misuse of login. Format of the undertaking is given at the end of this post
- Latest copy of Provisional Receipt Number
After receipt of above documents, the TRN will be emailed to the deductor.