NSDL came out with FVU version 4.0 and 2.136 on 25th September 2013.
|Date Applicable from||FVU Version|
|From 01st Oct 2013||4.0 & 2.136|
|Till 30th Sept 2013||4.0 & 2.136 and3.9 & 2.135|
Points added/introduced in the new version are:
Nil Challan/ transfer vouchers
Applicable Forms – 24Q, 26Q,27Q, 27EQ
- In case of Nil Challan/ transfer vouchers, it’s now mandatory to update reasons for such non deduction
- Along with entering all the other transaction details one now needs to, also, update either of the following flags “A/B/S/T/Y/Z” in the ‘Reason for Non deduction/Lower deduction’ field
- It needs to be seen how one treats a situation where there are no transactions in a quarter.
Applicable Forms –27Q
- As per Section 194LD, introduced in the Finance Bill 2013, TDS @ 5% needs to be deducted on interest payments for Rupee denominated bonds issued by the Government of India or any other Indian company.
- TDS would be applicable on all such interest payments made from 01st June 2013 till 31st May 2015
- These payments are made to Qualified Foreign Investors (QFI) and/or Foreign Institutional Investors (FII)
Applicable Forms –27Q
- Section 194LC covers following payments made to non residents
- Interest (other than interest on securities) and
- Other payments except for salary
- Now onwards only an Indian Company or it’s Branch, may deduct TDS under this section
- Earlier this Section was open to use by all Deductors. Ex – Company, AOP, BOI etc
- It’s still not clear on how Deductors (apart from Company or Branch) deal with payments under this Section
Section 194LC (Correction Statement)
Applicable Forms –27Q
- Pursuant to the change in this FVU, Correction Statement may be filed, only, if there are any changes in the existing Challan or Deductee or in case a new challan has been paid.
- Under the ‘Correction Type’ field, Deductor may only use
- C2 – Correction in Deductor and/or Challan details
- C3 – Change in Deductor, challan, and/or Deductee details
- C9 – Additional Challan payments
- This change is applicable from 2012-2013 onwards
Provisional Receipt Number (PRN)
Applicable Forms –24Q,26Q,27Q,27EQ
- It is now mandatory to mention the PRN for all Regular statements
- PRN from the last filed Regular Statement (for the same Form) needs to be quoted
- Ex – In case a Deductor is filing Form 24Q for quarter ending June 2013, he has to mention the PRN from previous period, would henceforth be required to mention their PRN
Date of Challan Deposit
Applicable Forms –24Q, 26Q, 27Q, 27EQ
- Surplus challan payments, from the immediate previous financial year (FY), may now be adjusted against current year dues. Eg – While filing returns for FY 2013-2014, one can use the surplus from the previous FY 2012-2013
- Surplus arising from any year prior to the previous FY cannot be entered
- A Deductor would now be allowed to enter details of surplus payments made in the previous FY
- Excess payments from previous FY occurring on account of Book entry adjustments, would not be allowed
The Finance Bill 2013 has introduced a new section 194-IA providing for TDS @ 1% to be deducted by purchaser. In case valid PAN of seller is not available , tax deduction will be at higher rate of 20%.
This is applicable w.e.f June 01, 2013 for sale of immovable property ( other than agricultural land ) where consideration is Rs. 50 Lacs and above. The purchaser is exempt from the obligation to obtain TAN, which is otherwise mandatory for all deductors.
CBDT has issued Notification No. 39/2013 on 31st May 2013 amending rules to simplify procedure for complying with provisions of this new section.
Deposit of tax
Any tax deducted under section 194-IA will be
- Deposited within 7 days from the end of month in which tax was deducted
- Deposited by way of Challan-cums-statement in Form 26QB
- Deposited electronically into RBI/SBI or any authorized bank. Director General of income-tax (Systems) will specify formats , standards and procedure for such electronic remittance
- TDS Certificate in respect deduction under section 194-IA will be issued by deductor in Form No 16B
- Form 16B has to be issued within 15 days from the due date of depositing tax
- Form 16B will have to be downloaded from income tax web portal
Mandatory Electronic Payment
- NSDL site has already provided a new link “TDS on sale of Property” under ePayment of Taxes to electronically deposit such TDS
- It is mandatory to provide PAN of both transferor and transferee
- Complete address of transferor and transferee is to be given
- About property , complete address, value consideration ,date of agreement and whether payment made in lump sum or installment is also to be provided in the online form
Electronic Payment by deductors not having net-banking facility
- Since Section 194-IA transactions will be one off and deductor may not have net-banking facility, an alternate has been provided.
- The deductor has to fill the information online and then opt for e-tax payment on subsequent date option.
- On completing the form, an acknowledgement will be generated.
- The deductor can then visit a bank branch for payment, provide the acknowledgment number.
- Bank will use TIN web site to retrieve payment information based on the acknowledgement number and then proceed to make electronic payment
What if there is an error in providing PAN details
- Deductor must be very careful in filling up PAN details.
- In case wrong PAN is entered, there is no facility of correcting the same online. The only option available is to approach the Assessing Officer or TDS-CPC
Today is April 7 and as a deductor you must be planning to deposit TDS for all payments made during March 2011. Hold ! the rule has been changed and now the last date of deposit for such transactions is April 30.
For non government deductors , earlier tds on all payments made during March was to be deposited before 7th of April. For all provisional entries credited on 31st March, the last date of deposit was 31st May.
The amended rule does not distinguish between payment entries and provisional entries and the last date of deposit for all such entries is April 30
Notification 41/2010 dated 31.05.2010
Above Notification amended rules pertaining to deposit of tax, issue of tds certificate and filing of eTDS statement.
The above amendment was explained in detail in our Bulletin of June 1010. The same can be viewed by clicking the following link
The relevant extract of amended Rule 30 is reproduced below
(1) All sums deducted in accordance with the provisions of Chapter XVII‐B by an office of the Government shall be paid to the credit of the Central Government ‐ (a) on the same day where the tax is paid without production of an income‐tax challan; and (b) on or before seven days from the end of the month in which the deduction is made or income‐tax is due under sub‐section (1A) of section 192, where tax is paid accompanied by an income‐tax challan.
(2) All sums deducted in accordance with the provisions of Chapter XVII‐B by deductors other than an office of the Government shall be paid to the credit of the Central Government ‐ (a) on or before 30th day of April where the income or amount is credited or paid in the month of March; and (b) in any other case, on or before seven days from the end of the month in which‐ (i) the deduction is made; or (ii) income‐tax is due under sub‐section (1A) of section 192.